Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The Information Literacy Process

Defining
Defining
What is the problem I have to solve?


What are the main ideas?
What information do I need?
What do I already know?
What more do I need to find out?
How can I use focus questions to help me organise the task?
What are the keywords that will help me?
Locating
Locating
Where can I find the information I need?


Which sources best meet my needs?
Which sources do I already have?
Where can I find those resources I don't have?
Do I need help to find the resources?
Do I need help to access or use these resources?
Selecting
Selecting
How can I search these sources effectively?


Are there any clues and cues to help me?
Which main ideas am I looking for?
Which search terms will help me find these?
How will I know that the information is recent, relevant, accurate and unbiased?
How will I record the information I find?
How will I credit my sources?
Organising
Organising
How can I organise this information so that I can understand it better?


Does it need to be in a special order?
How can I arrange it so that it is easily understood by others?
Have I solved the problem?
Have I answered my focus questions?
Do I need more information?

Presenting
How can I share this information with other people?

Who will be my audience?
What is the purpose of the presentation?
Which would be the best format to meet these needs?
What do I need to do with this presentation?
Have I included everything I want to share?
Assessing
Assessing
What have I learned from this?

Did I answer my focus questions?
Did I use the rubric to ensure I did all the things I needed to do?
Did I manage my time well?
How have my skills improved?
Which parts did I do really well?
Which parts would I change if I did the assignment again?
Which parts do I need support with in the future?

Reflecting
Where to from here?

How does what I have learned connect with what I already knew?
How have my knowledge and understanding changed?
What will I remember for the rest of my life?
How does it help me make sense of the world?
Now that I know this, how can I use it?